VINCI Airports enlarges its network of airports in the United States, the United Kingdom, Costa Rica and Sweden
24. 04. 2018 - 08:30 - Akquisitionen
- Signature of an agreement to acquire the portfolio of Airports Worldwide, comprising two freehold property airports, three airports under concession and four under full management contracts as well as three partial management contracts in American airports1
- A strategic move into the USA, the world's largest air transport market, that also bolsters our presence in Europe and Central America
- A worldwide network expanded to 45 airports welcoming more than 182 million passengers per year2
VINCI Airports, a VINCI Concessions subsidiary, is acquiring nine new airports (two freehold property, three concession, four management contracts) and three partial management contracts in American airports following acquisition of the airport portfolio held by Airports Worldwide1.
The operation boosts VINCI Airports' global network, which now includes 45 airports in 11 countries and on three continents. It also increases the number of passengers welcomed in its airports by 25.6 million to more than 182 million per year.
The portfolio acquired by VINCI Airports consists of:
- Two freeholds property: VINCI Airports is acquiring a 100% stake in Belfast International Airport in Northern Ireland, which welcomed 5.8 million passengers in 2017, and a 90.1% stake in Skavsta Airport near Stockholm, Sweden, which welcomed 2.1 million passengers in 2017.
- Three airports under concession: VINCI Airports is acquiring a 100% stake in Orlando-Sanford International Airport (Florida, USA), which welcomed 2.9 million passengers in 2017, under a concession contract covering operation of the current terminal and car park with a residual term of 21 years; together with co-control stakes in Costa Rica's two major airports, i.e. a 48.75% stake in Juan Santamaria International Airport in San José and a 45% stake in Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport in Liberia, which served 4.8 million and 1.1 million passengers in 2017 respectively, under concession contracts with residual terms of eight and 13 years.
- Four full management contracts covering Hollywood Burbank Airport, which welcomed 4.7 million passengers in 2017, and Ontario International Airport, which welcomed 4.2 million passengers in 2017, in California; and Macon Downtown Airport and Middle Georgia Regional Airport in Georgia3.
- Three partial management contracts covering US airports: Atlantic City International Airport in New Jersey, Raleigh Durham International Airport in North Carolina, and part of the international terminal at the airport in Atlanta, Georgia, the world’s largest airport in terms of traffic.
This acquisition allows VINCI Airports to make a strategic move into the USA, giving it an entry point into the world's largest air transport market.
It also strengthens VINCI Airports' presence in Europe, where the group already operates 12 airports in France and 10 in Portugal, plus the Nikola-Tesla airport in Belgrade, Serbia, for which VINCI Airports signed a concession contract on 22 March this year. Lastly, the acquisition of the two main airports in Costa Rica, an increasingly popular tourist destination, strengthens VINCI Airports' positions in South and Central America, where it manages the airports in Santiago, Chile and Salvador, Brazil, together with six airports in the Dominican Republic including the airport in Santo Domingo.
1 Agreement subject to the approval of the relevant authorities and the partners.
2 In comparison with 156,6 million passengers welcomed in 2017, including traffic of fully consolidated companies and 100% of equity accounted companies held on January 1, 2017 on a full-year basis, plus Salvador airport, which VINCI Airports has been managing since January 2, 2018, but excluding Kobe (Japan) and Belgrade (Serbia) airports.
3 Macon Downtown Airport is a business airport; Middle Georgia Regional Airport welcomes some 2,000 passengers per year.
About VINCI Airports
VINCI Airports, a top 5 global player in the international airport sector, manages the development and operation of 36 airports located in France, Portugal (including the Lisbon hub), Cambodia, Japan, Chile, Dominican Republic and Brazil. Served by around 250 airlines, VINCI Airports' network handled 157 million passengers in 2017. Through its expertise as a comprehensive integrator and the professionalism of its 12,000 employees, VINCI Airports develops, finances, builds and operates airports, leveraging its investment capability, international network and know-how to optimise the management and performance of existing airport infrastructure, facility extensions and new-build construction projects. In 2017, its consolidated revenue amounted to €1.4 billion.
VINCI ist ein weltweit tätiger Konzessions- und Baukonzern. Er beschäftigt mehr als 222.000 Mitarbeiter in rund 120 Ländern. Zu unserem Leistungsspektrum gehören Planung, Finanzierung, Bau und Betrieb von Infrastrukturen und Einrichtungen, die zur Verbesserung des Alltags und der Mobilität der Menschen beitragen. Erfolg bedeutet für uns, dass die Gesamtleistung stimmt und nicht nur das Jahresergebnis. Dazu zählt unser Engagement zugunsten der Umwelt sowie der sozialen und gesellschaftlichen Performance unserer Unternehmensbereiche. Da die Leistungen des Konzerns sich durch ihren Nutzen für die Allgemeinheit auszeichnen, betrachten wir den Dialog mit allen Beteiligten und ein offenes Ohr für deren Belange als unerlässliche Voraussetzung unserer Tätigkeit. Unsere Ambition ist es, für unsere Kunden, Aktionäre, Mitarbeiter, Partner und die gesamte Gesellschaft auf Dauer Wert zu schaffen.